Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Journey to Christ: Pt 2

I never thought I would have to break this up into 2 parts. It’s amazing what happens when you actually start writing stuff out. If you want, read part one of this story first.

Anyways, I spent a summer in Quebec when I was 20. Events there and afterward made me come to the conclusion that my life was not just a series of random events influenced by the choices I made, but everything led to another with a purpose. This caused me to reconsider my belief in an omniscient God with a plan for the universe. I still didn’t know anything beyond that, but it was a nudge in the right direction.

Over the next years, I spent a lot of time thinking about God, and what that meant in my life. I didn’t know what to think about Christ as the son of God, that was too much of a leap for me at the time. I also had many a conversation with my good friend Erin, who seemed to be there at just the time that I needed to discuss this with her. My work also influenced my thinking. I spent 3 years examining the structures of enzymes, the workhorses of our cells. I think it is impossible to study protein structure and believe that the entire thing is the product of random mutations over millennia. Of course this only strengthened my belief in God as an ultimate creator of the universe.

After I finished my Master’s, I followed Erin to Halifax (not really, it just conveniently worked out that way) to start my PhD in Chemistry. This was important for two reasons. 1-She asked me to read ‘Case for Creator’ by Lee Strobel, an excellent book on evidence for God in the universe. 2-She invited me to Uplift, a great group for Christians and non-christians to discuss current issues. It was there I began to think about the possibility of Christ as the son of God after talking to many people, and where Marc gave me my first bible. I also met Sarah there soon after attending (almost there, I swear).

Sarah was taking discipleship classes, and the pastor had given her a copy of ‘Purpose Driven Life’ to read, and a copy for me to read as well. In one of the chapters, Rick Warren, the author asks the reader to accept Christ if they haven’t already done so. At this point I stopped reading! I was like, I can’t read any more, because he wrote the rest of the book with this assumption. This one statement forced me to confront why I could not accept the idea of Christ as the Son of God.

I wrestled with this question for a good couple of months, talking about it with Sarah and Erin many times. Finally, I decided to accept this truth, and I got down on my knees and asked Christ to be a part of my life. A greater feeling of peace as I felt then I have never known. In May of that same year, I proposed to Sarah, and two days later I was baptized. Since accepting Christ (a little over a year ago) I have been learning more and more about God, and growing further in my relationship with Him. It has been an amazing journey, and I pray that it always will be. I also finished ‘Purpose Driven Life’.

I have come to realize and understand many things in the past year. We are all sinners, and nobody is perfect. This includes everybody in the church, it’s a fact. Therefore, just because someone in the church does something wrong, that does not mean that the church or that religion is bad. The same goes for misguided individuals carrying out acts in the name of God. I realize now the fallacies I held on to for years, and I am so glad I finally see the truth. It is an amazing journey if you are willing to take the first step.God_

No comments: