Friday, July 27, 2012

Audio out from embedded videos

Why?


There is an awful lot of interesting material from both christian and gentile sources locked up in embedded web videos. I know a lot of people enjoy watching debates, presentations and such on the internet, but I am not one of them. I much prefer to have an audio file that I can put on my iPod so that I can listen to it while I am out running errands, riding the bus to and from work, etc.

So I am often disappointed when very interesting material gets locked up in a non-downloadable video on a web-page, with no audio download option (an example of that would be here). With that example, I don't really want to take the time to sit down for up to 3 hours (including the QA) at an internet connected device and watch it, especially when there is not really anything special about the video portion, the audio will do just fine.

I recently came across a nice little workflow to generate mp3 audio from these videos. Note: I am not advocating piracy!! If the videos are hosted somewhere, you should not obtain them to put them up somewhere else! However, the full video will get onto your device in the process of watching it, so I don't see anything wrong with using the below detailed method.

How?


This process uses two pieces of software, the "UnPlug" Firefox plugin, and VLC video player.

1. On a page with the videos you want, you simply click the "UnPlug" icon in the "add-on bar", and it will bring up the files available for download.

2. You hit the download button for each file of interest, and wait for the downloads to stop.

3. Open VLC, and under "Media" -> go to "Convert / Save". Add the files you want to convert to audio.

4. After hitting "Convert / Save", fill in the destination file, and choose the type of output you want. For pure audio, the MP4 and MP3 options are near the bottom. If you want different options than the default for that file type, high the "tools" icon just to the right to make changes.

5. "Start", and wait for your file to finish.

It should be noted that VLC can convert many different video formats, as long as there is not a copyright protection on the video. It will also save and convert streaming audio or video as well.

Credit: Original Source

No comments: